Friday, August 11, 2006

Yes, my fig sorbet does kick ass.

The figs are ripe! The figs are ripe!

After months of waiting and about a week of my elderly Greek neighbor Poppy rattling her jury-rigged soda can contraption from 5:30 am to 9:00 pm to keep the squirrels away, the figs are suddenly ripe!

I'm always at a bit of a loss for what to do with these figs. I think they're green turkey figs. They're not all that sweet, and while I love their texture, I don't really like them plain. Last year I made a fig cake, which was good, but not outstanding. However, I had a feeling that the ice cream maker would solve all my fig problems, so when I first bought it, I went on an epic Internet search for fig ice cream and sorbet recipes. (Those of you who know my obsessive research skills understand exactly what this means.)

Tonight, fig sorbet

INGREDIENTS
About 6-10 large green turkey figs
Simple syrup*
2 small limes
1/4 c or so pink wine**
1/16 - 1/8 t balsamic vinegar

METHOD
Peel the figs, put half of them in the blender, mash the other half in a big bowl. (The point of this is to keep enough whole fig seeds to give that crunchy fig texture, but have enough smooth puree to make the sorbet hang together.)
Add the fig puree to the bowl of mashed figs.
Add balsamic vinegar and the juice of the limes. Taste.
Add simple syrup until the mixture tastes just a little too sweet.
Throw in a few splashes of pink wine. Taste. Add more simple syrup if needed.

Freeze in ice cream maker for 20 minutes. Taste. Add more simple syrup, pink wine, or balsamic vinegar if needed. Freeze 5 more minutes.

*SIMPLE SYRUP
It's simple. It's sugar. It's syrup. For sorbet, use a 1.5:1 ratio of sugar to water. Heat until the sugar dissolves, pour into a jar or something, use.

**PINK WINE
Those of you who know me, I'm going to have my First Annual Rosé Wine Tasting Party sometime between late August and mid-September. There will be drinking of pink wine and stumbling around my tiny yard, and it will be awesome.

1 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, August 16, 2008, Blogger Jen Dykes said...

we used marsala wine for this one, and I have to say, this is an excellent recipe. We put the fig sorbet into little asiago cheese crisps for appetizers. Deeelicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.