Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I bought an ice cream maker!

Because obviously, what I need in my life is more frozen desserts. And to spend more money at Costco...

First ice cream made: honey chevre with olive oil, lemon, and rosemary.

(Those who know me well may recognize this as the ice cream version of my favorite soup, only without the chicken and the rice. And actually, you could add rice, like in rice gelato. Mmm.)

It's good!

Really!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups lowfat milk
4 T olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice (or more, to taste)
1/2 c honey
sugar to taste
1 small log chevre (4 oz?? 5 oz??)
1-2 T fresh rosemary, finely diced

Mix it all together (warm the honey first so it will blend), chill, make in the ice cream maker.
It would probably be better if you warmed the milk with some sprigs of rosemary or used rosemary olive oil, but I was in a hurry. The texture of the rosemary is not the most delightful thing. Lemon extract or oil would probably work better, too, because the juice does produce a few ice crystals. The olive oil is just there for the fat. It tastes weird when the mixture isn't frozen, but fine once it is.

Also, as you add the sugar to taste, make the mix a little sweeter than you think it should be, because you can't taste the sugar as much when it's cold.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, July 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must concur with my daughter, to whom I described your, mmmm, unusual take on ice cream: ew. :-)

-- Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.