Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Goop Rides Again

This morning's project was listening to Kinski and cleaning out the fridge and freezer.

Fridge-cleaning always causes me some anxiety, because, you know, it means throwing away perfectly good food, or at least throwing away food that was perfectly good at one time or another, and that you have now WASTED through your laziness, negligence, and/or stubborn refusal to eat things that taste bad. My sister and I had a long conversation last weekend on the theme of "Mom is crazy," and one of the things we talked about was her strange food stockpiling habits. (We're talking huge chest freezer crammed so full that I have memories of actually wedging new packages of frozen food between the old ones. We're talking about 100 cubic feet of pantry shelving in the basement, packed full of canned and dry goods.) I always attribute Mom's behavior to the "child of the Depression" thing, but my sister doesn't remember Mom hoarding food back in the 50s and 60s. So now my theory is Mom's survivalist thing got triggered by the OPEC embargo.

I have to say, psychologically speaking, it's a lot easier for me to clean out the fridge now that I have the huge Seattle yardwaste bin. Because now I'm not really wasting those 7 heels of bread. I'm recycling them. It's the circle of life, man.

Oh yeah, Goop. I was going to praise Goop again. Goop will soften and remove polymerized oils, such as those found on the salad dressing shelf in the fridges of people who haven't cleaned thoroughly in 2 or 3 years. (CSI Animation: Unsaturated oil polymerizing into a gummy, plasticized residue that's actually chemically bonded to the refrigerator shelf.)

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, August 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you had a blog for this long and FAILED to inform me. I suspect it is because you were trying to decide whether or not I would leave embarassing or revealing comments.

AND my late arrival means that a CERTAIN OTHER friend of yours whose name begins with 'M' gets to be the 'M' in your blog. Where's the fragging justice in that? *I* deserve to be the 'M'!

Enough about me.

I really, really, hate cleaning out the refrigerator. For all the reasons you mentioned (except the psychotic mother part). I do hope your mother doesn't know about your blog.

Lastly, I had this really amusing image of your interactions with various young and offensive men in lawschool this morning that I am going to save for when you actually post something about *law* school.

I like the pictures alot, though.

MNB

 
At 6:24 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger ohplease said...

Ah, you forget that my mother is legally blind, and furthermore can't operate a computer, and beyond that, doesn't even have one. Which makes me way, way luckier (in some ways) than my friend C, whose mom read her blog and said snarky things about it. (WTF?) The worst thing about the 20th century is that your mom can still read your diary and give you shit about it--ONLINE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.