Monday, September 26, 2005

The unbearable dullness of the first day of the first year of law school.

Today was the first day of classes, and I have this to report: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I believe the first term curriculum is the same everywhere: Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts, and Basic Legal Skills (writing and research). As far as I'm concerned, Torts is the only one of these with any inherent interest (because it's about poor humans trying to put some kind of logic on all of the awful things that can happen in life, and that's both touching and absurd), but they try to make Basic Legal Skills more interesting by tarting it up with controversial cases and deep debates. So far, the "ripped from the headlines" quality is just annoying me.

However, I think my biggest problem right now is that it just feels kind of weird and gross (for genuine lack of better words) to be part of a large institution again. I'm still trying to sort out where that's coming from. It also makes me cringe to be "taught." That's a little easier to figure out--teaching is a power dynamic, teaching can be fundamentally dishonest, many teachers at all levels infantilize their students, etc. All these things I know. From teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.