Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Could my TV be dying??

I'm a little concerned that my TV may be dying. It's the TV that used to be in my parents' basement, so it dates to 1980 or so, making it older than most of my law school classmates. I think it's one of the last era of televisions to feature large amounts of fake woodgrain plastic. I like it because (to me at least) it was free, it's got a pretty clear picture, and it's not all "ooh, look at me, I'm a sleek technological object," which seems to be the current ruling TV aesthetic. Unfortunately, the picture has started rolling a lot, like the vertical hold is permanently screwed up. Sometimes that's a reception problem, but I don't know why the reception would suddenly get so much worse. Hmm. Is there a "vertical hold" adjustment behind that little fake wood door? Nope. Damn.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, October 26, 2005, Blogger WordzGuy said...

There are still places that repair old skool TVs, but the cost might be equivalent to a new (small) TV. BTW, look hard for a vertical hold button -- it might not be in the obvious place.

-- Mike

 
At 8:10 AM, October 30, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

i used to have a tv kind of like that, and it had a vertical hold button. i can't remember where, though--maybe on the back? what brand is yours again? i think mine was a zenith...

 
At 9:16 AM, November 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened to be out and about and saw some TVs -- man, you can get a new TV, for, like, $80 these days. I definitely would not put any effort into repair beyond finding the vertical hold button ...

- Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.