Sunday, July 31, 2005

Procrastination

I'm often blase about my procrastination. I consider it a normal part of the writing process, and furthermore I maintain that sometime during the 7-odd years I taught Freshman English, I read a study somewhere (likely College English) arguing that what gets called procrastination is actually just "latency," and with enough wisdom and the proper research methodology, we can discern Great Cognitive Things going on under the surface of what looks like a pointless, anxiety-driven waste of time.

However, today is a brilliant blue summer day with just a few puffy clouds snagged on the Olympics, and it's 80-some-odd degrees out, and I'm at the office, and the air conditioning is off, and sun is slanting through the floor-to-ceiling unshaded west-facing windows, and the room is becoming increasingly sauna-like, and I really think I should have rewritten this client report sometime last week.

It also feels really decadent to be making a giant office-size pot of coffee just for me...

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, August 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks on this topic should study John Perry's essay Structured Procrastination. I believe he speaks for many of us who will get around to it real soon, just as soon as we finish this other thing.

 
At 3:53 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger djpoptart said...

i'm sending you a long st. expedite prayerflag popthangka along with the "the man" mug.

tempus fucking fugit
carpe fucking diem
as they say in france

it's hard to be oriented in time
it's stressful
time causes free radicals

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.